11 Apr The Qualities of a Brilliant Sales Manager
Several times I’ve been asked questions such as: How do you recognize a good SM? Which one from my team should I promote as SM? What are the characteristics of a good SM? How many good SMs do you know? Can you recommend me a good SM? Do I need an SM? Shall I fire my SM?
I the following text I hope to demystify, in a very succinct way, the traits I am checking when referring to a brilliant SM.
Sales managers are the backbone of any successful sales team and of their organization. They are responsible for setting sales targets, developing sales strategies, and motivating their team to achieve those targets.
A brilliant sales manager possesses a unique set of skills that sets them apart from the rest.
- Excellent Communication Skills
A brilliant sales manager needs to be an excellent communicator. They must be able to communicate clearly and concisely with their team, customers, and other stakeholders. They should be able to listen actively, understand the needs of their team, and provide feedback that is constructive and helpful. Performance equals knowledge plus motivation and they need to be good at both.
- Strong Leadership Skills
A brilliant sales manager is a strong leader who can inspire their team to achieve their goals. They should be able to create a positive work environment that fosters creativity, collaboration, and a sense of purpose. They should be able to set clear expectations and provide guidance when needed.
A brilliant sales manager puts the customer at the center of everything they do. They should be able to understand the needs of their customers and create solutions that meet those needs. They should be able to provide excellent customer service and ensure that their team is doing the same.
A brilliant sales manager is results-driven. They should be able to set realistic sales targets and develop strategies that help their team achieve those targets. They should be able to track progress and make adjustments when necessary. In other words, they keep their promises.
- Analytical Skills
A brilliant sales manager needs to have strong analytical skills. They should be able to analyze data and identify trends that can help their team make better decisions. They should be able to use data to develop sales strategies that are based on facts and not just assumptions.
- Continuous Learning
A brilliant sales manager is always learning. They should be committed to staying up-to-date with the latest trends and technologies in their industry. They should be willing to attend conferences, seminars, and training sessions to improve their skills and knowledge.
A brilliant sales manager should have empathy for their team and customers. They should be able to put themselves in other people’s shoes and understand their needs and perspectives. They should be able to show compassion and support when their team members are going through difficult times.
- Positive Attitude
A brilliant sales manager should have a positive attitude. They should be able to motivate their team and create a positive work environment. They should be able to stay positive even when faced with challenges and setbacks.
In conclusion, a brilliant sales manager possesses a unique set of skills that sets them apart from the rest. They are excellent communicators, strong leaders, customer-centric, results-driven, analytical, committed to continuous learning, empathetic, and have a positive attitude.
By possessing these qualities, they can inspire their team to achieve their goals and drive business success.
And the most important of all, whenever you promote a Sales Manager from the inside of a Sales Team make sure you will, by this exercise, cascade a big part of your empathy and that all other skills are already embedded by the time they step up.
FUNNY FACTS ABOUT SALES MANAGERS
If you are an SM, will be or have been one, these might trigger some smile your end:
- Did you know that the first recorded sales manager was actually a caveman who convinced his tribe to trade their rocks for his shiny shells?
- Sales managers are experts at selling ice to Eskimos, but they still can’t seem to convince their kids to eat their vegetables.
- Sales managers have a secret code language that only they can understand. It’s called “Sales-speak,” and it’s like a foreign language to the rest of us.
- Sales managers are known for their persuasive skills, but they still can’t convince their boss to give them a raise.
- Sales managers have a sixth sense that tells them when a customer is about to say “no.” Unfortunately, that same sense doesn’t work on their significant other.
- The best way to get a sales manager’s attention is to mention the word “commission.” It’s like a secret trigger that makes them perk up like a dog hearing a treat bag.
- Sales managers are like superheroes, except instead of saving the world, they save their company’s bottom line.
- If you want to make a sales manager happy, just give them a phone and a list of potential customers. It’s like giving a kid a new toy.
- Sales managers are like chameleons. They can blend in with any situation and adapt to any customer. It’s like they have a sales superpower.
- Sales managers always seem to have a smile on their face, even when they’re dealing with difficult customers. It’s like they have a secret stash of happy pills.